On the Quest for my Song

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Sacredness of Christmas

There is something sacred about the sharing of Christmas. Perhaps because it is a time of celebrating our faith and the birth that has made us free. Perhaps because it is a time of family and a time to share with those we are closest to and love the most. There are those who sometimes do not have the chance to share Christmas with the ones they wish. Often my family has taken in those who are far from home and family on Christmas. In this, hopefully, we build a bond.

Three years ago, we were privileged to share this time with three special individuals: Dre, Blessed and Josh. Little did we know that we were being honored to share Josh's last Christmas with him. He died in a car accident only four short months later.

Tonight, as we gather, we will read the gospel telling of Christ's birth, The Night Before Christmas and we will tell Josh's story.

We tell Josh's story, so that we do not forget the sacredness of sharing Christmas with someone.

Sharing Christmas is not only opening your home, but your heart and saying, "Tonight, today, you belong with us and you are not alone."

Mike Cope preached a few Sundays ago about praising God in the storm. Christmas is bittersweet. We remember the birth of a savior, but we also remember those we have shared Christmas with that we can no longer be with. So we praise through our storms and we never give up on love.

Praise You in this Storm
by Casting Crowns

I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining
As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The maker of heaven and earth

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm



You took my hand You showed me how You promised me you'd be around Uh huh That's right
I took your words And I believed In everything You said to me Yeah huh That's right
If someone said three years from now You'd be long gone I'd stand up and punch them out Cause they're all wrong I know better Cause you said forever And ever Who knew
Remember when we were such fools And so convinced and just too cool Oh no No no
I wish I could touch you again I wish I could still call you friend I'd give anything
When someone said count your blessings now'fore they're long gone I guess I just didn't know how I was all wrong They knew better Still you said forever And ever Who knew
I'll keep you locked in my head Until we meet again Until we Until we meet again
And I won't forget you my friend What happened
If someone said three years from now You'd be long gone I'd stand up and punch them out Cause they're all wrong
That last kiss I'll cherish Until we meet again And time makes It harder I wish I could remember But I keepYour memory
You visit me in my sleep
My darling Who
My darling I miss you
My darling Who knew
Who knew
~Who Knew by Pink
The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord. -- Job 1:21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home